New Features in Automator
Automator returns in Leopard, even more powerful and easier-to-use. It's streamlined interface and new abilities, define the next generation of automation in Mac OS X.
Some of the new features in Automator for Leopard include:
- Starting Points An interactive way to get new Automator users creating workflows quickly.
- Streamlined Interface Dozens of changes dramatically improve and streamline Automator's user-interface, making it much easier to create, edit, and implement workflows.
- Workflow Variables Much requested and really invaluable, workflow variables allow you to store and retrieve action results, share data between actions, and generate input for action parameters at run-time.
- UI Recording and Playback For those times where the workflow needs to open a window, select a menu item, or dismiss a dialog, the new Watch Me Do action lets you record and playback interaction with the computer.
- Workflow Looping Up till now, repeating a workflow has only been accomplished by saving it as a plugin to iCal or using the Automator Loop Utility. In Leopard, the new Loop action can be added to the end of a workflow, allowing the workflow to be repeated for a specified number of times or for a specified time duration.
- New Actions Dozens of new actions raise the level of what Automator can do for you. Actions for working with RSS feeds, taking a video snapshot with your computer's built-in iSight camera, and manipulating PDF files, are just some of the dozens of new actions included in Automator for Leopard.
- Command-line Utility The new Automator Command-Line Utility provides access to other languages for running workflows. Included is the ability to set the initial value of variables contained in the targeted workflow.
For detailed explanation of these features, use the navigation links at the top-right of this page, or click the CONTINUE link below.